Ready to celebrate the female friendships in your life? That is what Galentine’s Day is all about!
What is Galentine’s Day, you ask? It was coined from the popular TV show Parks and Recreation when character Leslie Knope brings together her ladyfriends on February 13. She intentionally chooses this date before Valentine’s day so that the women in her life don’t feel guilty about leaving behind the husbands and boyfriends at home to “just come and kick it, breakfast-style” and to celebrate the female friendships in our lives.
It’s basically one of my favorite holidays of the year. Not to mention a great excuse to get together with your BFF and squad to throw a fun party together.
This year was extra special because I got to celebrate it in collaboration with local fashion and lifestyle bloggers from across the Twin Cities. The way that photography introduced me to a community of incredible, ambitious women in Minneapolis and Saint Paul has been one of the biggest blessings of running this business. The gals I got to meet up with this weekend are no exception. They came dressed to impress and are total boss babes who share their hearts online in an effort to build up confidence in women all over the world. I’m so honored to be a small role in helping them spread that mission even further through these photographs.
Having celebrated this tradition for a few years now, here are our tips to make it a success.
How to Throw A Galentine’s Day Party
- Gather together your fave ladyfriends or invite new ones to get to know them better. If you’re getting married, why not bring together your bridesmaids for a little meet-n-greet before the big day?
- Bring something sweet to symbolize how sweet it is to have the friendships you do. Bonus points if it is breakfast food like waffles or frittatas in honor of Leslie Knope’s original vision for this glorious day. A little bubbly is always a smash hit too!
- Decorate your space to make the atmosphere match your excitement for the holiday. Balloons, confetti, heart-shaped sunglasses, and banners are all fair game!
- Pick an activity to help make new memories. A photobooth, game night, or dance party are great options. For a more casual setting, heart-to-heart conversations absolutely count… and so is simply having your sweet treats and wine be the main activity – in my opinion!
- If gifting is your love language, put together a little goodie bag for each of the girls coming to your soiree. Ideas include nail polish, face mask, fuzzy socks, and a card with a compliment to them. The thought can go a long way. If you want to be like Leslie, make a portrait of each of the women out of glass pieces from their favorite diet soda. Or you can stick to a cute nail polish, either works.
- Throw on an outfit that makes you feel like the total babe you are. After all, confidence is the best accessory for any occasion. Since it is close to Valentine’s Day you may want to channel the pinks, reds, black, and neutrals in your choice and spread the dress code memo to your crew.
At the end of the day though, simply have fun enjoying each other’s company! We get so busy in life that the fact you are dedicating time to being intentional with the women in your life is a huge win. You go, girl!
Sneak a peek below of the magic we made together at our Galentine’s Day styled shoot together.
Meet the Bloggers
Bree Pair | Website | Insta @breepair
Carrie Leaders | Website | Insta @Blushingbubbly
Heather H. | Website | Insta @heartofheather
Dua Yang | Website | Insta @hey.dua
Meg | Website | Insta @mymonochromaticlife
Jenn Patrice | Website | Insta @jenn.patrice
Marla Jean | Website | Insta @just.marla.jean
add a comment