Congratulations on your engagement!! Let’s celebrate it! Engagement sessions are one of our favorite parts of the whole wedding planning experience. Not only do you get beautiful memories from this short and sweet season of life, but you also get a chance to see how your photographer works behind the lens. You’ll become familiar with the way they coach you into poses and the types of prompts they use to capture authentic emotions from you and your soon-to-be spouse!
When it comes to choosing your engagement session location, we recommend thinking through these factors to help you narrow down the list of possibilities:
- Sentimental Spots: Is there a public place where you had your first date or favorite memory? Returning to these sentimental locations helps you feel immediately connected to your love story and more comfortable in front of the camera.
- City you’ll be married: If your engagement session pictures will be used for Save the Date cards you might want to consider showcasing the city where you’ll be tying the knot to bring your guests into the excitement.
- Unique Locations: You may have access to a location because of your personal and professional connections that no one else does! A mansion, a boat, a city rooftop, a family ranch… you name it! OR your engagement session can be a chance to showcase a fun spot you’ve always wanted to visit that gets incorporated into the session!
- Reflection of your Personal Style: Do you enjoy being in the heart of the city with lots of architecture, surrounded by lush green trees, or running through a field? Choose a spot that is a reflection of your personalities and how you spend your time together as a couple.
- The season: Some locations photograph better in the warmer months because of all their trees and foliage. Others work great year round. Ask your photographer if there is a specific spot you have in mind to make sure it will match your vision based on the season your session takes place.
Our Favorite Spots Around the Twin Cities
Below we included a list of some of our favorite engagement session locations around the Minneapolis and St. Paul metro area that will give you a great backdrop to showcase your love for one another. They’re our tried and true spots. We organized them by the type of scenery at that location.
Fountains & Flowers
If your engagement session is in the spring or early summer, fountains and flowers are where its at for an extra romantic flair. As a bonus, you can take advantage of all those gorgeous blooms!
- Arneson Acres (Edina, MN)
- Lyndale Rose Garden (Minneapolis, MN)
- Como Park (Roseville, MN)
Trees, Paths, & Fields
If you just want to be outside surrounded by beautiful foliage or running through a field at sunset, these spots are where you’ll have the best success:
- Silverwood Park (St. Anthony Village, MN)
- Hyland Park Reserve (Bloomington, MN)
- Bunker Hills Regional Park (Coon Rapids, MN)
- Como Park (Roseville, MN)
- Prairie Bluff Conservation Area (Eden Prairie)
- Minnehaha Falls (Minneapolis, MN)
Buildings & Landscapes
Perfect for the city-lovers and any season. Featuring architecture in the background is our preferred option for those in-between seasons (November-March) where the leaves are gone, but no snow is on the ground.
- Rice Park & James J. Hill Library (St. Paul, MN)
- Upper Landing Park (St. Paul, MN)
- Mill City Ruins (Minneapolis, MN)
- Basilica of St. Mary (Minneapolis, MN)
Pine Trees & Forests
These locations are perfect for the winter time and outdoorsy couples.
- Hansen Tree Farm (Anoka, MN)
- Square Lake Park (Stillwater, MN)
- Brekke Park (Stillwater, MN)
- Lebanon Hills Park (Eagan, MN)
- Taylors Falls State Park
Find more helpful tips for engagement and wedding planning in our Tips for Brides section of the blog.